Sunday, May 2, 2010

Reflection of Other Groups' Lessons

I thought that all of the groups did a good job teaching given the circumstances. Unfortunately I can't remember every single lesson from every single group. Overall, I would say they did a great job. The first group that went seemed like they were not completely ready for the behaviors, but they did a good job of handling it on the fly. The groups that went after had the advantage of knowing what the class could be like. There are not many critiques that I have. Some of the groups used video or their podcast, and just used it for way too long. The only one I can remember off the top of my head is the lesson about MLK's speech. I came in late and the podcast was still too long for me. I think it is better to only use a small part at a time, so the students do not get bored.
Another thing that I remember happening was when I had the behavior to get up and lock either the door or the window. I don't remember who was teaching, but I walked right up to an open window and was able to close it and lock it without any resistance. God forbid I was an emotionally disturbed student, because I felt that I had enough time to jump right through the window. A student going towards a window might not look threatening, but in this day and age you never know what is going to happen. The school that I observed at this semester actually solves that problem by only allowing the top of the windows to be open. The bottom parts of the windows remained closed at all times.
Despite those problems the lessons were very good. I enjoyed a lot of them. I really liked learning about the Mask of the Red Death and the Tell-Tale Heart. I thought that Sandra's group's cell phone box was a funny idea. Although I missed the people dressed up as shapes for Iria's group, I thought that was a good idea to get the students engaged. I had a lot of fun during these lessons, and the behaviors really make these teaching experiences fun and worthwhile for all involved.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad that you liked the lesson for Masque of Red Death. I will be writing my reflection of yours and other lessons later today.

    ReplyDelete